My dad made this amazing dish for Thanksgiving a few weeks ago so I had to share it with you. I take no credit for this heavenly masterpiece because it was all his doing. I was drooling just as he was giving me the recipe. I am seriously considering making just this for dinner tonight because it is the perfect combination of sweet and savoury. It’s like dinner and dessert all in one. I have seen many sweet yam/potato casserole recipes with mini marshmallows on the top but this pecan topped recipe is the creme de la creme. I would not steer you wrong. I could have eaten the entire pan myself. So with American Thanksgiving in a couple of days I knew this recipe needed to make its debut. It will be a Thanksgiving staple on my menu from now on. I hope you like it as much as I do!
- 3-4 cups cooked, mashed yams (or sweet potatoes)
- 1/2 cup brown or white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 2 tsp vanilla (I used 4 inches of a vanilla bean)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
1. Preheat oven to 350. In large bowl, combine all ingredients of yam mixture together and place into 2 quart casserole dish (9×13 dish will work fine)
2. Mix topping ingredients together and sprinkle topping over yams.
3. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
Here are a few Thanksgiving table setting ideas you might like. To see some creative ways to decorate with pumpkins click here.
Softer than a lullaby, deeper than the midnight sky, soulful as a baby’s cry, my Sweet Potato Pie ~ James Taylor