Summer is one of my favorite seasons for so many reasons but camping definitely tops the list. Nothing feels better than jumping in a truck and driving away from town with a warm breeze in my hair and a bag of sunflower seeds by my side. Wait a minute….. I think I just wrote a country song there. I love turning off my phone for several days, sitting by the lake and letting mother nature wash away any unneeded stress. It’s amazing what a weekend in the woods will do for your soul, not to mention the added bonus of boating, fishing, hiking and enjoying campfire food. Okay who am I kidding… I’m not interested in smokies and steaks…. bring on the marshmallows and chocolate.
Smores are my achilles heel so when I can’t have the real thing I tend to improvise. I originally made these cupcakes for a stagette party. A bunch of us girls road tripped to the mountains last March to spend a weekend in a cabin cross-country skiing and relaxing. So these rustic camping cupcakes were the perfect fit. But with winter far behind us and s’more season ahead, it’s a great little dessert to bring to any summer BBQ. Enjoy!
- 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil (can substitute for coconut oil)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups mini marshmallows (optional)
- 1 cup butter
- 1/3 cup Baileys (or other Irish liqueur)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups confectioners sugar (may need more)
- mini marshmallows
- graham crackers
- chocolate bar of choice (toasted almond, caramilk etc)
For the cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside. In another bowl, combine the sugar and cocoa. Add the oil, eggs, vanilla and beat with an electric mixer at high speed until mixture is smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients alternately with the milk on low speed.
- Scoop the batter into liner until almost half full. Add in several mini marshmallows and cover with batter so the cupcakes are 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cake comes out clean.
*There will be an ooey gooey crater in the top of the cupcakes from the marshmallows after baking. Don’t worry, this will be covered in icing :) But learn from my mistakes and try to place mini marshmallows in the center and coat with batter *
For the Icing
- While cupcakes are cooling, in a large bowl beat together butter, Bailey’s and vanilla extract with an electric mixer until mixture is smooth, thick, and evenly colored.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and beat in confectioners’ sugar, 1 cup at a time, until frosting is desired consistency. Beat in more sugar for a stiffer frosting.
Frost the cupcakes and garnish with a piece of graham cracker, mini marshmallows and a piece of chocolate. Bet you’ll want smore when they are all gone :)
We go together like campfires and marshmallows ~ Author Unknown