Okay seriously this is my favourite salad to make, definitely in my top five recipes. I find that I only like salads if they eat more like a meal and less like rabbit food so I like to pack my salads with all sorts of goodies. The dressing for this salad is amazing! In all honesty I could eat it by the spoonful…. which sometimes I do because come on…. it’s just mostly yogurt and chick peas. Most dressings are what turn a salad from fresh to fattening so when I tried this dressing I was stoked. Not only is it guilt-free so I can literally drown my salad in it, but it’s creamy and full of flavor. It is my go-to salad in the summer when I’m craving something tangy and spicy! I also love the addition of a good quality cured meat when I get sick of chicken as the main meat source in my summer dishes. I like this salad even spicier so I usually grab a spicy genoa salami at my local Italian market too. Enjoy!
- 2 cups quinoa
- 2 Tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 4-5 scallions or green onions
- 6-8 cups fresh spinach (or greens of your choice)
- 1 can chick peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 3/4 cup grated carrot
- genoa salami, sliced into small strips (4-5 slices per serving)
Hummus Yogurt Dressing:
3 tablespoons hummus (flavored hummus is great too)
3 Tbsp plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp sweet chili sauce
salt and black pepper to taste
(to get desired consistency of dressing, simply add water)
1. Cook quinoa according to package directions, then stir in sliced scallion and 2 tbsp sweet chili sauce to taste; set aside.
2. Add remaining salad ingredients to large bowl and toss. Add quinoa and drizzle with Hummus Yogurt Dressing.
A well-made salad must have a certain uniformity; it should make perfect sense for those ingredients to share a bowl. ~ Yotam Ottolenghi