As a child I remember sloppy joes as a regular dinner meal, and as an adult I still absolutely love them. They are the perfect go-to recipe with any lean ground meat you have in your fridge and take no time to make. This recipe is packed with lean protein, fresh ingredients and tastes even better as leftovers. My mom used to make the BEST sloppy joes when I was younger so now with a child of my own, I am pulling out all my simple and easy recipes again to save my sanity and time. I love this recipe and since I still can’t seem to keep my shirt clean while eating them, they stay true to their ‘sloppy’ claim.
Bonus: if you really want to make things easy on yourself…. saute the first 4 ingredients with the ground meat, toss in the slow cooker with the remaining ingredients, add 1/4 cup of water and cook on low all day! Enjoy!
- 1 tbsp oil (coconut oil)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green peppers
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef (or turkey)
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- dash of hot sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Add oil to large saucepan over medium-high heat and saute the onion, pepper and garlic. Add meat and cooked until no longer pink.
2. Mix remaining ingredients in small bowl then add to meat mixture. Cook on low for 5-10 minutes. Serve over warm buns.
The Original Sloppy Joe Sandwich was invented by a cook named Joe at a cafe in Sioux City, Iowa