Maybe your New Years Resolutions have faded a little, or maybe you just need a little more motivation to keep going. Either way, if you are searching for some more exciting healthy recipes, this is the perfect fit. With fresh ingredients and no shortage of flavor, this stew is sure to leave you satisfied without tightening up those skinny jeans. You can also omit the chicken for a vegetarian dish and wa-la…. your dinner decision has been made. Serve alongside a fresh salad or simply all on its own. Cheers to a happy and healthy New Year!
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 1 Tbsp grated ginger root
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped red pepper
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups peeled cubed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup quinoa (or substitute couscous)
- 2 Tbsp frozen orange juice concentrate
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a large non stick saucepan over medium high heat. Add chicken, gingerroot and garlic. Cook and stir until chicken is no longer pink. Add onions and red pepper and cook for 3 more minutes. Stir in coriander, curry powder, cumin and cinnamon. Add broth and sweet potatoes. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Cover and simmer until potatoes are tender. Roughly 10-15 minutes.
- Prepare quinoa according to package directions adding orange juice concentrate.
- Combine coconut milk and cornstarch until smooth. Add to chicken and vegetables along with cilantro. Increase head to medium high and cook until stew is bubbly and has thickened.
- Serve stew over a bed of quinoa.
A healthy outside starts from the inside. ~ Robert Ulrich