Hey guys! I hope you are all enjoying your Saturday morning! I just couldn’t wait to share this no-bake gluten and grain free treat! I am feeling like a million bucks today after spending an entire afternoon yesterday in the sun with my little man. It’s amazing what a little bit of sunshine can do for your mood and pasty winter skin…haha. I really can’t complain because we have had SUCH a mild winter this year. It has been my saving grace with a new baby because I have been able to go for walks almost every day, but none the less the valley in known for grey overcast winters so the sun is very welcomed come springtime.
After our walk we relaxed on the deck in the sunshine while I searched through recipes. I wanted a snack recipe that incorporated protein powder since I recently bought an all natural plant-based protein powder. I get tired of making shakes and a lot of the time I just need something quick to grab on the go so these were perfect! These little snack bites are everywhere on Pinterest so after going through several recipes I combined my favorite ingredients from a few. The best part of these bites are that they are grain free, gluten-free, high in protein, high in omega 3’s and a great nut, seed and carbohydrate mix. By no means am I paleo, gluten-free or grain free….. heck these days I just try to stay french fry and ice cream free. But they turned out sooooo good that I had to put all my other posts on hold to share this ASAP! Let me know what you think!
- 3/4 cup mixed nuts (I used an unsalted mixed nuts blend)
- 1/4 cup pitted dates
- 1/4 cup vanilla protein powder
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries (or other dried fruit of your choice)
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 3 Tbsp organic peanut butter (or almond butter)
- 1 Tbsp pure organic maple syrup
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut for rolling (optional)
- Place the mixed nuts, dates and protein powder in a food processor. Mix until finely chopped and combined (30-45 seconds)
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except ¼ cup dried cranberries and chocolate chips) to the food processor. Process until a dough ball starts to loosely form. (this takes a minute or two)
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and add the remaining coarsely chopped dried cranberries and chocolate chips.
- Roll into balls, then roll into coconut and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer.
They are super quick an easy to make with no wet and dry ingredient mixing, no oven, and all in one bowl! I loved the texture of these and the fact that they eat like a dessert! Have a great weekend!
Cheerfulness is the best promoter of health and is as friendly to the mind as to the body. ~ Joseph Addison