It’s officially the last day of the September long weekend….. can you believe it?! Since no one should be slaving over dinner on the last day of a long weekend…. treat yourself to this no-fail pasta dish! My girlfriend made this for us one night after seeing it on Pinterest and it truly is a One Pot Wonder. You literally throw all the raw ingredients in a pot and cook it! The ingredients may sound bland but it is nothing less than mouth-watering goodness! Since it’s tomato season, use fresh tomatoes in place of canned if you are able to! Speaking of pasta…. it reminds me of our great weekend spent with friends.
Friday night was a quiet and relaxing night spent at home with my hubby, which was exactly what I needed. Then on Saturday while the guys worked on renovations, Lise and I spent the day chatting, laughing and enjoying some much needed sunshine in the backyard. We ended the evening on a double date at an lil’ authentic Italian restaurant a little ways out of town…. mmm homemade pasta.
Yesterday my hubby took me to the IPE fair grounds! We met up with some more friends and enjoyed greasy hamburgers, mini donuts, elephant ears, country music, dog agility shows and all the sights and sounds of a traditional fair. (Of course I had to see all the baby animals… especially the cows) And after two weeks of cloudy and below average temperatures, yesterday was a real treat with hot hot hot weather!!! After a full day we ended the night with sun kissed faces, full bellies and a movie date with my sister and her husband. What more could a pregnant lady need?!
The end of summertime is always bittersweet for me, but fall is my favorite season so I welcome September with open arms. And since I go back to tomorrow for a whopping 9 days before I start my maternity leave, what am I going to do on my last day of unemployed, baby-free summer bliss?! Well I’m going to take a sunny walk with my hubby to enjoy one last beach day before heading over to my dads for a Mexican inspired BBQ! Adios summer!
- 1 package linguine pasta
- 1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes with liquid (any flavor. Ex: herb and garlic, red pepper)
- 1 large sweet onion, cut in thin strips
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 2-3 large basil leaves, chopped
- 4 1/2 cups vegetable broth (do not use low sodium)
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- Parmesan cheese, to taste
1. Place uncooked pasta, tomatoes, onion, garlic, basil, in a large stock pot. Pour in vegetable broth. Sprinkle on top the pepper flakes and oregano. Drizzle top with oil.
2. Cover pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a low simmer and keep covered and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes or so. Reduce and simmer until desired amount of liquid is left. I like a little bit of liquid in the bottom still.
3. Season to taste with salt and pepper , stirring pasta several times to distribute the liquid in the bottom of the pot. Serve with parmesan cheese.
Cada cual hace con su vida un papalote y lo echa a volar~
We each make a kite of life and fly it as we will