This was one of my favorite diy crafts that I made for our nursery….. oh who am I kidding. I loved all the crafting that went into this lil’ babes room. Our crib was thrifted at only $70.00 which was such a steal but it just seemed naked without a mobile.
Instead of buying a mobile I figured I’d attempt to make my own. I originally wanted to make a mobile completely out of driftwood but the thought of multiple chunks of wood hanging above our little son’s head gave me heart palpitations. I also had no idea how I was going to attach my creation to the crib. At first I thought that I could hang it from the ceiling, but then I’d be left with a giant hole in the ceiling if we ever moved around the furniture. Then I thought an old lamp stand could work, but a tall lamp stand in the room that would soon house a crawling infant wasn’t really a good idea either.
Then my girlfriend Jill over at mariejanelle.net and I were deep in conversation over our latest nursery diy projects when she happened to mention her same dilemma with attaching a diy mobile. Her mom had said “Why not buy an old mobile and de-construct it to use whatever pieces you need?!” BRILLIANT! So to the thrift stores I went and sure enough I snagged a great mobile for only $2!!! It was far from what I wanted it to look like….. haha
But all I needed was the arm attachment so I slapped my toonie down on the counter, drove home and started taking everything apart and gathering my supplies. I just used scrap pieces of fabric that I already had, some cotton stuffing, buttons, fishing line and two pieces of driftwood for the cross piece instead of the original plastic one.
First I drew a simple cardboard stencil for the whales body and fins.
Then I cut out the fins and the whale body from fabric. (You don’t need to sew anything for the fins) I just sewed around the edge of the body (leaving an opening at the bottom) and then turned it right side out.
I stuffed the body with cotton batting and hand stitched the opening shut. Then I sewed on the fins and buttons for eyes and ta-da!! Cute little nautical whales. Then I attached fishing line to the top of the whales and beaded on iridescent buttons (they reminded me of shells),
Then I drilled a hole through the top of both pieces of driftwood, threaded the fishing line down through the middle and attached the center whale. The other four whales are attached to the driftwood by tiny metal hooks. I also didn’t want the plastic arm showing so I sewed a long tube of fabric and scrunched it over the arm.
I am so happy with how it turned out! It is the perfect one-of-a-kind addition to our nautical nursery. But the best part…… the entire mobile cost me $2!!! Beat that Pottery Barn!
I figured worse case scenario…. this diy would be a total flop and I’d have to go buy one. But I’m so glad I gave it a shot because I love it! There are plenty of mobile ideas out there to get inspired from and it’s a great way to customize a nursery to your personal taste! Happy Sewing!!
We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But the ocean would be less because of that missing drop ~ Mother Teresa
DIY Nursery Projects:
- DIY Stuffed Animal
- DIY Framed Letters
- DIY Whale Mobile
- DIY Nursery Gallery Wall
- DIY Bowtie Bunting
- DIY Change Table
- DIY Nautical Wooden Art
- DIY Toy Bench
- DIY Glider Chair Cover
- DIY Adjustable Crib Skirt
- DIY Dresser