There is just something about french fries that calls to me. It wasn’t until this past year that I acquired this new obsession for french fries. Maybe because I am somewhat health conscious, the temptation for these little sticks of cholesterol and grease haunt my thoughts. Either way I knew I had to figure out some way to have them without feeling the need to flush out my arteries with Draino afterwards. So I created my own version of these greasy delights. They are oven baked and a much healthier option than a loaded baked potato or creamy mashed potatoes. Grab your ketchup and enjoy!
- 2 large baking potatoes
- 4 teaspoons plain breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 egg whites
- Olive oil cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Slice potatoes in half lengthwise, then cut into thin strips. Pat dry with a paper towel.
2. In a bowl, combine breadcrumbs with spices. In another bowl, whisk egg whites until foamy (about 1 minute)
3. Pour egg whites into large ziplock bag. Add fries to coat. Add spice mixture and shake until evenly coated.
4. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spray with cooking spray. Arrange fries in single later. Bake, turning once, until fries are golden and crispy, about 20 minutes.
My idea of fast food is a mallard – Ted Nugent